7 ways to protect pets to keep things humming during the holidays


The last place you want to be during the holidays is in the pet emergency hospital with your dog or cat. That’s why it’s important to keep in mind that the holidays can pose dangers for your beloved fur kids.


Here is a (musical) list of 7 things to keep in mind about potential pet holiday hazards gathered from around the Net


Oh by gosh, by golly, forgo the mistletoe and holly: While they may be a big part of the holiday tradition, holly and mistletoe are pet no-nos. When consumed, holly can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea in pets. Small amounts of some varieties of mistletoe can upset your pet’s gastrointestinal system. When they are ingested in large amounts, pets can experience cardiovascular problems. Seizures and deaths even have been reported.


Take down the tinsel cause all you want for Christmas is a healthy cat: Shiny strings may be the way to a cat’s heart, but they also may be a ticket to the emergency room. Even swallowing a small amount of tinsel can result in an obstruction in your cat’s digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possibly surgery.


Secure Oh Tanenbaum: No Christmas tree left unchecked is probably a cat’s motto. Even dogs can get into the act. Unlike when a tree falls in the forest and no one may know; quite the opposite happens when a Christmas tree falls on your pet. You’ll hear about it loud and clear. Also tree water can be tempting to pets and since it may contain fertilizers or provide a breeding ground for bacteria (standing water and bacteria go hand in hand), keep pets away. Securing the tree helps water from spilling.


Mind the chestnuts roasting on that open fire: When it comes to the fire in the fireplace or holiday candles, keep pets away. Keep a screen in front of the fireplace and supervise pets near candles. A wagging or swishing tail can knock over a candle.


Make sure the greatest gift of all doesn’t end up as a chew toy for pets: You’ll want to keep pets away from all those presents wrapped under the tree. Wrapping paper, string, ribbon, plastic pieces or cloth all can cause intestinal blockages.


Keep pets away from the dinner table to make sure it truly is the most wonderful time of the year: You may already know that chocolate is toxic for pets. But there are other edible hazards. Baked goods can be too rich for epts; onions, raisins and grapes can be poisonous. And turkey – though many pets love it – can cause pancreatitis cautions the American Veterinary Medical Association.


A quiet night away from guests may be best for your pets: Too much company causing stress? Give your pets a quiet retreat in their own room with plenty of food and water.


The holidays are a special time to be with friends and family and fur kids. Make sure to keep things merry and bright by following these safety tips.

0 views

© 2019 Rancho Cordova Whisker Warriors

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now